We are here today with our newsletter on Junior ADU (JADU). One of the most important ADU rule changes for 2020 is a provision from California state bills that permits both an ADU and a Junior ADU (JADU) on the same lot with a proposed or existing single-family dwelling. So this means that you can add two rental units to your property: an ADU and a JADU.
What is a Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs)?
A Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit (JADU) is an additional, independent living unit created through the conversion of an existing legally permitted bedroom or habitable area in a single-family dwelling.
JADU Rules 2020
- Size – Max up to 500 sq. ft.
- Location – Location of JADU Must be within a proposed or existing single-family dwelling or accessory structure, such as a detached garage or carport of the dwelling unit.
- Expansion – May include an expansion of up to 150 sq. ft. beyond the existing footprint of the accessory structure, but this expansion is limited to accommodating ingress and egress.
- Separate Entry – Exterior access (a separate entrance for the JADU) is required from the proposed or existing single-family dwelling.
- Parking – No parking required for a JADU
- Bathroom – May have a separate bathroom or shared with the single-family dwelling.
We can help you get started on your home expansion with a JADU with 5 easy steps.
- Teleconstruction Appointment: Teleconstruction service helps you to consult with our team virtually and safely. Schedule one today!
- Discuss your JADU plans. We can discuss the prospect/feasibility of JADU on your property. If possible, share any related documents you might have.
- Get answers to your questions related to permits, regulations, scope, design, end-to-end process for prefab structures, ROI, and others.
- Based on the information, we will send you a quotation and timeline for the project.
- Once we finalize the agreement with you, we can start working on your project right away!
Our Customer Success Manager, Jessica Passage explains the concept of Junior ADUs (JADU) and how we can help you with any JADU project that you want to take up.
To learn more about our various other completed projects click here.
Select Ongoing Projects
Location – Scotts Valley, CA
- Home Remodel and Addition – Remodeling the main floor and the second floor. The second floor is converted into an 862 sq.ft. ADU
- Remodeling by converting the part of the basement and crawl space into a conditioned space for a new JADU. JADU has a livable area of 423 sq.ft.
- We prepared the Architectural Permit Set and Structural Engineering for the new house
About Design Everest Engineering
Design Everest is a pre-construction permit sets provider, highly experienced in all types of Residential and Commercial architecture and engineering services. We have experience in working on 4500+ projects since 2005. We are a One-Stop-Shop for complete architecture and engineering services required for residential and commercial ground-up construction, addition, remodeling, ADU, commercial tenant improvement, and residential and commercial seismic retrofit projects.
We provide the following services:
- On-Site Evaluations
- 3D Rendering and 3D Modeling
- Structural Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- MEP Engineering
- Permit Submission
- Construction Administration Support at the time of Construction
Customer Success Story