Imagine it’s the peak of summer, and you plan to go to the community pool to cool off. You reach the pool and find that it’s crowded and noisy. What if you had a better option – the liberty of going to your own backyard and splashing around in your private pool?
The best part about building a private swimming pool is that it offers you luxury, comfort, and convenience – all at the same time. It elevates the aesthetics of your backyard while making more room for fun and relaxation. However, how will you go about the whole process of adding a pool to a property? Can you do it on your own or do you need an engineer for this? Read on to know more.
Do I need an engineer to build a pool?
It is always wise to consult a professional while building or rebuilding any kind of structure since he/she knows the process well. A licensed engineer will ensure that any complications in the building process are handled smoothly, so you will not have any process-related worries.
Your engineer will make sure that your pool does not stick out like a sore thumb. He/she will suggest a suitable design that makes your swimming pool merge with the landscaping. The engineer also keeps safety in mind and designs the pool in a manner that supports the soil around it. This ensures that problems like cracking and leakage are averted.
Legal requirements to build a pool
Always make sure to check your local rules for permit requirements before installing a swimming pool. The permit requirements might vary from state to state, so make sure to check the requirements online or with your local city hall. You can also consult a construction lawyer or your chosen design professional for these requirements; this should make your job easier.
Also, keep in mind any safety features required in a pool, aside from the safety code in your state. Need help with the safety barrier guidelines for residential pools in the state of California? Read this guide, but don’t miss out on the below tips!
Tips to keep in mind while building a pool
Ready to build or renovate a pool?
Building a swimming pool on your property is a very demanding task. It requires a lot of time, tremendous effort, and extensive knowledge. To spare yourself from all the trouble, you can hire the services of a swimming pool design and engineering firm.
Got questions on building the perfect pool for your family? Our team of experienced California-licensed engineers can help you with the right advice and services.
Call us at (877) 704-5727 or email your requirements to email@example.com for a no-obligation quote followed by a consultation.
- The key to making sound investment decisions lies in doing the right homework. So, if you’re planning to build a pool in your property, make sure that you understand the basics of building a pool and the effort required. Keep a budget in mind and make a list of the features that you would like your pool to have. This list will change depending upon the needs of your family and the purpose for which the pool is being built.
- Before building the pool, you should consult with your insurance company regarding any changes in your homeowner’s insurance cover.
- Hire an engineer from a reputed company that you can trust, so that you can stay at ease knowing that the professionals you hired will carry out the work efficiently. Also, ensure that you work with an organization that gives you an array of choices in size, shape, design, and budget for your pool.
- An engineer will provide skillful advice that will help you achieve optimal utilization of your yard space, while also keeping in mind any special needs for your lifestyle enhancement. The range of options available for pools is increasing all the time, and these include in-ground or above, concrete or fiberglass composite, painted or tiled, infinity edge or lap pool. The shape and size of your property will decide the shape and size of your pool, as some states have laws regarding the fencing of the pools and construction close to boundaries. However, a clever engineer can help you find solutions for these problems and optimize the space available in your property.
- A pool project has certain complications that are common to any building project. These complications could include challenges related to building codes, zoning laws, and other regulations. The chances of such problems are minimized when the project is handled by professionals. They will also be aware of any plans that have to be submitted for obtaining permits. Further, they should possess the experience to execute the process effectively and on time.
- Contrary to popular notions, hiring an engineer for a construction project is not a waste of money. Instead, an engineer will help in saving money during construction. He will make sure that the land and resources are optimized, and use materials and builders that come within your budget.
- Getting professional help is also an investment rather than an added expense. An engineer’s expert knowledge on the subject will ensure that you will save money in the long run, since he/she has the required know-how.
*Note: The content published above was made in collaboration with members of Design Everest.
You must have an account to comment on the post. Register with us if you are an AEC professional!